Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Times I realize I'm not in Kansas anymore

Like Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, there have been times I realize I'm not in Kansas anymore.

Like the time I visited a nearby hardware store and noticed animal markers on the shelves.  These are numbered tags that are attached to an animal's ears for tracking purposes.

Like the many times I've observed people waving at me while we walk my boyfriend's dog, George.  These people don't know me, but I'm walking on an Alma street, so a wave is natural to them.

Or the many times I've been driving down Main Street and wait for a pedestrian to cross the street and they really look into the car and wave to thank me.

Everyone waits for pedestrians to cross the street in Alma.

It's probably cliche, but the pace of life here is slower, more mellow.  I'm getting used to it!  People take time to really listen, to look you in the eye, to help.  It's refreshing to slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment