Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The things we take for granted

Writing earlier about all the kitchen appliances being in the kitchen reminds me of the things we take for granted.  Like, for example, indoor heat.  Everyone has it, right?  Well, for quite some time we've been working on our heat (see previous blog entries).  We discovered that the hotel has never been insulated except for the attic.  Isn't that amazing?  So for the past few weeks DH and his two brothers have been blowing insulation between the interior plaster and lathe and the exterior brick.  On Friday, we returned the insulation blower and all the walls are now insulated.  Hooray!  It has made the building less drafty, the furnace comes on less and the hotel is far more quiet.  All good changes.

Another thing most of us take for granted is a clothes washer and dryer on the premises.  I never wrote about this earlier, but for several months I needed to do our laundry at a laundromat.  There are pros and cons to both laundromat and home washing and drying, but I much prefer to do laundry at home while doing other tasks.  While I enjoyed reading for a couple of hours while 8 (or 10) loads of laundry were going, I far prefer not having to load and unload the car, making sure I have enough money for quarters and just being away from home.  It is so nice to work at my convenience and get more accomplished than just this one task.  I also like handling all the laundry less times.  For example, it's nice to unload the dryer and put the clothes away immediately instead of folding, placing in the basket, then eventually taking out of the basket and, finally, getting everything to its destination.  Another nice improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment